Saturday, September 6, 2008

Faculty Morale Turn-Around

Throughout last year, the morale among the faculty of my school was extremely low. They all felt like no one listened to anything they requested. Even I felt like I sounded like a broken record. Administration did listen to one request the faculty had been making for years. That request was for more technology training. In my increased job role, I took it upon myself to tell my administration that I would lead technology training for the faculty. I began polling them verbally to figure out what kinds of things they wanted to learn. My math department chair came up with a great idea. She told me I aught to make a list of different technology applications I would be willing to teach so that people would have some idea of what they wanted to learn. I have a lot of respect for her as a teacher so I took her advice and created the handout. The next question was how do I distribute it? Do I put it in the mailboxes? Especially at the beginning of the year, they are getting so many papers. Would mine get lost in the shuffle? I figured I would risk it. I distributed 80 copies but I wasn't optimistic. I figured I would get 4 or 5 back from my good friends on the faculty. I was pleasantly surprised. I received responses from teachers, department chairs, administrators, and staff. People also commented about what a great idea this was! And the hits just keep on coming!!!

No comments:

Shift Happens

Clarification of Fair Use Guidelines of the Copyright Law

Do You Believe?

The Last Lecture

My Del.icio.us Bookmarks